Humid Indiana humid Indiana humid Indiana

The back of my head looking at the sun setting over Lake Michigan


We drove a little under four hours on Tuesday to get to Elkhart, Indiana. We pulled up to manicured fields and glowing fountains and were like, “where the F are we?” The RV hall of fame of course! There were a few other van lifers who apparently also knew you could stay overnight there, so we pulled up next to them and set up camp for the night. We were pumped to not be driving anymore and excited to see some retro RVs, but when we got into our trailer we realized we had driven off with our mini solar lights charging on the top of our trailer and of course they all flew off! Ahhh! Lesson learned. Pack up slowly.

The next morning we checked out the RV museum which was filled with some very cool vintage RVs dating back as early as 1916. Like pop up platform tents built out of wood and canvas, and a 1938 RV tricked out in wide plank wood floors and custom oak cabinetry. And then of course trailers from the seventies covered in shag carpet.

A vintage RV circa 1970s

Me inside a vintage RV playing with the staged water pitcher and glasses


We left around 5 to make it to the Indiana Dunes National Park before sunset--about an hour drive. We were following directions from the “All Trails” app to get to the start of a trail we wanted to hike. When we pulled up to the gate the woman kept insisting we were in a state park. I was SURE this area had become a National Park, so I kept asking. Finally, she admitted that there were about eighty entrances that were officially the National Park, but we had come in the small section that was still a state park. We were more than happy to pay the twelve dollars to support the park, even though we have a National Park pass, but she had a real attitude. We’re guessing there must be some beef between the state park and national park. Or she was just having a bad day.

Me lunging and pointing at the view from the top of a dune

Winding wooden steps leading up a dune


We ended up doing an amazing hike that included what was called the “three dune challenge,” which was no joke. These dunes were almost two hundred feet tall, and if you’ve ever gone up a huge pile of sand, you know it’s like sliding back a foot every time you take a step. So we made it to Lake Michigan and holy s#!% what a view! The sun was starting to set and turning all the pre-thunderstorm clouds neon pink. We let Lake Michigan cool off our hot, swollen feet (did I mention it was like ninety degrees?) and ate a little picnic while we watched the sun set and took a thousand pictures.

Corey sitting on a large piece of drift wood looking out at Lake Michigan


The trail back took us over one of the dunes and I barely made it up it. That three dune challenge really did me in. The landscape around the dunes is woodsy which is pretty unusual considering you’re on a sand path. The woods were really cool on the way in, but at this point it was getting pretty dark and they were starting to creep me out. Corey assured me he would punch a bear for me, which didn’t help the situation. We went into a whole play by play where I would have to run but I’d have to leave Corey with the bear, which I was not happy about. There also probably are not bears in those woods. About ten minutes later we were back at the car.

A sandy path through the woods


Did I mention the dunes did me in? The picnic we had at sunset was not enough food for me, so when we got to Walmart to do our shopping (because there is always something we need) I was hangry. I tried to keep it together, though Corey might not agree with that statement… The thing I’ve learned about this lifestyle in the four days I’ve been living it, is that there’s always going to be something. This whole experience is so amazing that if I let those somethings get to me it would really suck. You have to look yourself in the face often.

So then we went to Planet Fitness to shower (yay!) and I fumbled around with my absurd amount of products. And I forgot the damn soap in the car that I was so happy I remembered to buy at Walmart. Another something, right? But I got out of the locker room and Corey had reserved a hydro massage bed for me (BIG perk of being a black card member) and all was right in the world.

Corey and I kissing in front of the sunset


Comments

Popular Posts